Month: July 2011
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g streaky bacon, cut into 1cm cubes
- 18baby onions, or shallots
- 1.5 kg stewing beef steaks, cut into 4cm cubes
- 40 g flour
- 400 ml red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- small piece orange zest
- 450 ml beef stock, or chicken stock
- 18 button mushrooms, tossed in a hot pan with 25g butter until golden
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a flame-proof casserole dish or large pan.
3. Add the bacon and cook until browned. Remove and set aside, leaving any fat in the pan.
4. Add the onions and cook, stirring, over a high heat until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside with the bacon.
5. Add the beef in batches to the hot pan and cook until browned. Season with pepper.
6. Put all the beef back into the pan and sprinkle in the flour, stirring the meat all the time.
7. Pour in the wine and garlic. Stir again and add the bay, thyme, parsley and orange zest (I sometimes tie these up with string so that I can pull them out easily later).
8. Add the bacon and onions again and enough stock to come about three-quarters of the way up the ingredients in the pot.
9. Bring to the boil, put the lid on and cook in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes, until almost tender.
10. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook the stew for another 30-40 minutes or until the beef is tender.
11. To serve; remove the orange zest and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
In the past year Coolanowle Organic Farm & Meats has been reviewed in a number of publications. These include The October 2005 edition of ‘Organic Matters’ and the April 2007 edition of Food and Wine magazine.
In May 2007 we were featured on Cloddagh Mc Kenna’s Fresh from the Farmers market program on RTE. We have recentely been accepted to become members of “Good Food Ireland” and will appear in their guide and maps.
We are at an advanced stage of planning for our processing and cutting room at Coolanowle.A farm shop is also included in the plans.
Delighted to announce winning the GOOD FOOD IRELAND best breakfast award 2008 presented in October 2008.
MOST RECENTLY WE HAVE BEEN FEATURED IN JOHN & SALLY MC KENNA’S 2007 & 2008 BRIDGESTONE FOOD GUIDE