Organic Beef and Guinness Stew
Now with the winter approaching its time for delicious and warming Coolanowle Organic Beef and Guinness Stew.
A little more than a normal casserole.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper. Coat the diced beef with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the meat and brown well. Pour this into a 2 pint casserole dish.
- Return the pan to the heat and add the onion, carrots and garlic to it. Sauté for 5 to 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, thyme. Pour over the meat
- Bake, covered at 175 °C for 2 ½ hours. Remove cover and add mushrooms and bake for 30 minutes more.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g streaky bacon, cut into 1cm cubes
- 18baby onions, or shallots
- 1.5 kg stewing beef steaks, cut into 4cm cubes
- 40 g flour
- 400 ml red wine
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs parsley
- small piece orange zest
- 450 ml beef stock, or chicken stock
- 18 button mushrooms, tossed in a hot pan with 25g butter until golden
1. Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3.
2. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a flame-proof casserole dish or large pan.
3. Add the bacon and cook until browned. Remove and set aside, leaving any fat in the pan.
4. Add the onions and cook, stirring, over a high heat until golden. Remove from the pan and set aside with the bacon.
5. Add the beef in batches to the hot pan and cook until browned. Season with pepper.
6. Put all the beef back into the pan and sprinkle in the flour, stirring the meat all the time.
7. Pour in the wine and garlic. Stir again and add the bay, thyme, parsley and orange zest (I sometimes tie these up with string so that I can pull them out easily later).
8. Add the bacon and onions again and enough stock to come about three-quarters of the way up the ingredients in the pot.
9. Bring to the boil, put the lid on and cook in the oven for 2 hours 30 minutes, until almost tender.
10. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook the stew for another 30-40 minutes or until the beef is tender.
11. To serve; remove the orange zest and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and serve.